PiKVM FAQ | Geekworm

PiKVM FAQ

• Please leave message here if you have any questions, but we still recommend carefully reading official documentation firstly.

• @Yulia Marid Hello,

Do you want to install PiKVM-A3 kit? Could you please provide more details? so that we can provide you with any assistance.

• Hello, I bought the PiKVM-A4 kit. All works well except the OLED screen. I tested it on an arduino and it works. I have enabled the screen in the terminal and it is active in the PiKCM settings. How to check if the X630-A4 board has a problem? Thanks

• Hello, This is normal and not a problem with X630-A4. Because the screen will not work if the mirror is used with PI ZERO.  PIKVM OS has not solved this problem.If the system fixes it, the screen will be available. Hope to get your understanding. Thanks~

• Hi, official audio support is added. Is this working on Geekworm A3? Can you add instructions for how to connect I2S to X630? https://docs.pikvm.org/audio/

• @Snuupy Snup Hi,

The I2S Audio in(10pin SH1.0 connector) of X630-A3 is for I2S HDMI audio support. But you need a I2S cable.

• I noticed on a new install, I was having several errors in the system log every 5 seconds related to kvmd-watchdog.  I used the v3 Hat version of PiKVM on the A8 PCIe product.  It appears to be a difference in the hardware used by the official PiKVM hat and the GeekWork A8 hardware.

Dec 28 17:59:23 pikvm systemd[1]: Started PiKVM - RTC-based hardware watchdog.
    Dec 28 17:59:24 pikvm kvmd-watchdog[18512]: kvmd.apps.watchdog                INFO --- Running watchdog loop on RTC0 ...
    Dec 28 17:59:24 pikvm kvmd-watchdog[18512]: Traceback (most recent call last):
    Dec 28 17:59:24 pikvm kvmd-watchdog[18512]:   File "/usr/bin/kvmd-watchdog", line 9, in <module>
    Dec 28 17:59:24 pikvm kvmd-watchdog[18512]:     main()
    Dec 28 17:59:24 pikvm kvmd-watchdog[18512]:   File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/kvmd/apps/watchdog/__init__.py", line 121, in main
    Dec 28 17:59:24 pikvm kvmd-watchdog[18512]:     options.cmd(config.watchdog)
    Dec 28 17:59:24 pikvm kvmd-watchdog[18512]:   File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/kvmd/apps/watchdog/__init__.py", line 82, in _cmd_run
    Dec 28 17:59:24 pikvm kvmd-watchdog[18512]:     _reset_alarm(config.rtc, config.timeout)
    Dec 28 17:59:24 pikvm kvmd-watchdog[18512]:   File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/kvmd/apps/watchdog/__init__.py", line 67, in _reset_alarm
    Dec 28 17:59:24 pikvm kvmd-watchdog[18512]:     _write_int(rtc, "wakealarm", wake)
    Dec 28 17:59:24 pikvm kvmd-watchdog[18512]:   File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/kvmd/apps/watchdog/__init__.py", line 52, in _write_int
    Dec 28 17:59:24 pikvm kvmd-watchdog[18512]:     with open(_join_rtc(rtc, key), "w") as value_file:
    Dec 28 17:59:24 pikvm kvmd-watchdog[18512]: PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm'
    Dec 28 17:59:24 pikvm systemd[1]: kvmd-watchdog.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
    Dec 28 17:59:24 pikvm systemd[1]: kvmd-watchdog.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

I eventually found in a github post that I needed to disable the kvmd-watchdog using the following command:

[root@pikvm ~]# systemctl disable --now kvmd-watchdog

All is well now, but not sure what features I disabled when I turned off this service.  If you have any ideas, please let me know.  For GeekWorm staff, I am able to test out any solutions you may have.

Thanks,

Tom

• I have a working kit.

However I only get video using an HDMI-HDMI lead.

When I use an HDMI-VGA lead there is "No signal".  This same lead works fine to a monitor.

I am trying others - as Amazon has a good free return system!

Can you point me to a lead that works with the PiKVM.

This issue is surprising, as I maintain dozens of SuperMicros and they all have VGA sockets.  In fact I haven't encountered *one* computer with an HDMI socket built in.

• Thanks for sharing this great official documentation. I'll leave you a message after reading about it.

https://geekworm.com/community/forum/topic/78220/pikvm-faqbitlife

• @Lisa ZHANG How can I purchase the "I2S cable (10pin SH1.0 connector)" ?

• @Lisa ZHANG I have two 10pin SH1.0 connectors now. could you let me know the pin assigns of the cables? (reverse, strait, or else)

• Hi

Not sure if i understand correctly but what i need to do for my Geekform PIVKM to act like mouse and keyboard.  I have not plugged anything to OTG and not quite sure if i need to plug something to activate mouse/keyboard