Fan Noise | Geekworm

Fan Noise

• Hi Guys,

I recently purchased this kit

x829-dual-2-5-sata-hdd-ssd-shield-x829-c1-case-x708-ups-power-mgnt-board-dc-5v-4a-power-supply-kit using it with a 4gb pi4b

I have assembled this and although it seems to be working fine, the fan noise is unbearable. I am new to the Pi scene so maybe someone can help on this occasion with fan noise? Can the fan speed be adjusted?

It seems it is the case fan thats the culprit. Would the double fan with heat sink solve the issue if i remove the case fan? I was hoping for a quiter setup for NAS when watching TV or streaming something from this kit. I am waiting on my HDD being delivered so i can transfer ohotos, movies and plex stuff. 

I was just testing it with the OS last night and the noise simply is terrible! Is this the same for everyone else?

Where is the best place for NAS guide setup using pi?

Thanks in advance!

• @james mutch 

Thank you for your feedback. Regarding the noise of the fan, we have conducted many tests. We suggest you to try the following: Keep the fan away from the side about 1mm to solve your noise problem. The specific method is to put an m3 nut in the counterbore of the fan.

• Hi,

Can the fans be controlled? I tried your above method but it's still too noisy and the fans seem to be running 100% is there a program/app that can control this or show me what fans are running at 100%????

Thanks in advance!

• @james mutch 

Hi,  I test my method, and It should be effective. . .

You can also connect a 20-30 ohm resistor to the red wire in series with the 2P wire of the fan to reduce the voltage.

• Check to check if your fan comes with the backrooms any controls or if any options are available in the software to alter the speed. Add a 20-30 ohm resistor if you like.

• I created a new topic with my very similar problem here: https://geekworm.com/community/forum/topic/119225/kvmd-fan-not-functional-with-pikvm-a3

Enabled kvmd-fan but it does not limit my fan speed.