Skip to content
C790 HDMItoCSI2 module high latency on Pi 5 ? | Geekworm

C790 HDMItoCSI2 module high latency on Pi 5 ?

• I finally got the C790 working on the Pi5, but the live view latency is much higher than I expected.
    Here is my set up : 
    I'm using Pi5, and did update and upgrade, C790 module is connected to the left CSI port(The port away from the POE pins), using the 1080p60EDID file. Everything went fine using the script from:GitHub - FearL0rd/RPi5_hdmi_in_card: Raspberry Pi5 HDMI to CSI-2 input card based on TC358743
    And I was using "ffplay -f v4l2 -input_format rgb24 -video_size 1920x1080 -framerate 60 -i /dev/video8" to get the live view.

To Test the latency, I place a Blinking Light infront of the camera, connect the camera HDMI to C790 module, then film the light, camera screen and Pi screen at the same time using another 60fps camera. And later count the frames between light blink and the screen shows the blink. 
    In the end it takses 5 frame for the camera screen to show the blink, and another 10 frames before the Pi screen shows blink, So it leaves me about 250ms of full loop latency, 166ms of which from the C790 module.

I tried using the 1080p30EDID file, the latency is about the same.

I wonder is this kind of latency to be expected? If not what should I do to improve on the latency. I'm doing a camera tracking project so any improvement on latency would be appreciated.😁

• My thoughts:

pikvm os basically solves the latency problem. Pikvm os is an open source OS. I suggest you take a look at the source code of pikvm os.

In addition, compared with Raspberry Pi 4, Raspberry Pi 5 hardware removes h264 hard coding, which may result in PI 5's image processing capabilities being inferior to PI 4. You can also consider testing it with PI 4.

Finally, X1300  or X1301 is based on Pi 5 design. You can also test them. Its use is the same as C790.

• @Harry Huang Thank you, I asked a friend using Pi4 with C790, the latency is much lower indeed. But I'm using the AI-Kit that only support Pi5. So I will try the X1300 or X1301 module later, maybe that will make a difference.