X1002 nvme is "fragile" and susceptable to the slightest vibration | Geekworm

X1002 nvme is "fragile" and susceptable to the slightest vibration

• I recently purchased an X1002 and P580 case (on Amazon) with a view to creating a NAS on a Raspberry Pi 5.  I paired this with a Crucial 4TB NVME 2280.  (Yeah, I now know about the 2TB limit with MBR)

I was able to get the NVME to boot and I was able to setup samba and other software to create a tiny NAS.

My problem is that the hardware configuration seems very flakey. 

When I mean flakey, I mean unreliable.  I have noticed that even when I handle the assembly very carefully, vibration seems to cause the ribbon cable to lose connection.  This results in lots of I/O errors :

Buffer I/O Error on device nvme0n1p2: et4_end_bio:343 I/O error 10 writing to inode ...nvme nvme0: controller is down; will reset; CSTS=0xffffffff PCI_STATUS=0x10

After several occurances of this problem, I ended up with a dirty filesystem that I ended up having to recreate the OS.

I suspect the ribbon cable between the X1002 and the RPI 5 is the weak link.

I have been able to mitigate the problem by shutting down the Pi and gently touching the ribbon cable, but my confidence is pretty poor right now.

The ribbon cable seems to be fully seated in both connectors. I have installed the ribbon several times.

The devices is intended for use in an RV, so succeptablity to even minor vibration is a deal killer.

Is there anything I can do to make the X1002 more reliable?

• Hello.
    I think you are right, that PCIe cable may be defective, we recommend you to replace the cable (please pay attention to the direction), or contact Geekworm support team (support@geekworm.com) to get a replacement cable.

• Thanks. I requested a replacement cable.