Need of Cases and PSU | Geekworm

Need of Cases and PSU

• The few metal case you have don't even come close to what most in the real world need.  The one case for the x835 board is too small, first off. 3.5" drives produce a lot of heat and I see no extra cooling fans for the drive alone.

I have bought many different cases disk arrays and NAS and they all seem to have the same problem, Not enough air flow for the 3.5" hard Drives.  Of the thirty or so Hard drives over the years, both seagate and western, 3/4 of them have failed due to heat build up in the cases. RIght now I just take back panel and PSU from the case and mount to 20 t-solt, place the hard drive between two 120mm fans in an open air system I designed and built. In the last 2 years since doing this, no drive failure because of heat.

I would I like to see you guys, do a NAS build with some kind of new designed case can be  arcylic that has two fans stacked vertical, pull the air across the Drives and pi4. The case should be able to hold Rasperberry Pi 4, X735, 4 or more X835, UPS board and some kind of much smaller aTX power supply for the 3.5 drives or from what I figure a 12V higher amp plug in for the X835 and able to power from X835 to each X835. The cluster Acrylic you show is fine, but need a beefed up one for even a open air system that uses steel, like L or U shaped drilled to hold up 5 drive and little up plates around the Hard Drives for Fan and on top of the U shape the Pi4, x735, and UPS. Even for the L shaped just a screw in shelf for those. The options are limitless.

But for what I have seen for a true NAS for Raspberry Pi 4, there has to be some stepping up here. Real NAS need to use 3.5 drive just because ofthe TB needed and 2.5 only go to max 5tb.  Right now I am setup as 2 3.5" drives 6tb for tv shows, 2 3.5 Drives 10TB drives for Movies and two 1TB drives for Time Machine all raid1.

Would like to be able to build a lowest possible power small nas using raspberry Pi4, if you have a suggstion on SBC board let me know.

Thanks Jeff

• Hi jeff,

Thanks for your advice and suggestions.

We really appreciate it, if any new update, you will find them on our site.

Best regards,

Cindy/Geekworm

• Have you thought of 3d printing a box.  I have a Raspberry PI 4, the X750, and a 3.5" display for which I printed a box.  There is a cooling fan mounted on the lid as well. 

• @Bill Bigbee-Hansen Hi, how does your 3D print box like? Maybe you can share some photos, thanks!

• RPI and X750 3D printed case /w 3.5" display

• @Jeff Kay Hi, thanks for your good advise.

I add the UPS board and 18650 battery holder on X829-C1, the cooling fan is assembled on the side of case. X829-C1  is only for X829