It's time to use idle hard drives. you can DIY a small NAS, music player or something interesting with X835 expansion board for Raspberry Pi 4.
The X835 expansion board provides a complete storage solution for Raspberry Pi 4 Model B; The X835 3.5" SATA adapter can support up to 10TB 3.5 inch SATA hard disk drives (HDD).
What do you need to use Raspberry Pi 4 X835 3.5 inch SATA HDD Storage Board?1. A Raspberry Pi 4 Board
2. A DC 12V Power Supply
3. A 3.5 inch SATA hard disk drive(HDD)
4. A X835 Metal Case (optional)
5. A X735 Power Management Board (optional for Pi 4 power management)
X835 Key Features
- Operating System: All Raspberry Pi operating systems
- Supports up to 10TB 3.5 inch SATA hard disk drives (HDD)
- Ideal storage solution for Raspberry Pi 4
- USB 3.0 connectivity offers plug-and-play functionality on your Raspberry Pi 4
- Quick file transfer with high-speed USB 3.0 connectivity from a PC or a Mac
- External Self Powered - Do not require power from Raspberry Pi USB port
- PCB Size 163mm x101mm
Power Supply Requirement
Power supply: 12Vdc +/-5% , ≥3A
Ports & Connectors: DC jack - 5.5x2.5mm
As we know that the power supply is very important to the hard disk, so please do not use the low quality power adapter. Please use a high quality power adapter, or you may encounter problems such as not recognizing the hard disk. You can use: https://geekworm.com/products/dc-5-5x2-5mm-12v-3a-power-supply-eu-us-uk-plug-for-raspberry-pi-x830-v2-0
There is a Geekworm deisgn metal case with latching power control switch and super mute 4010 cooling fan for Raspberry Pi 4 , X835 3.5" SATA Storage Board and X735 Power Management Board, it is a perfect choice for raspberry pi nas storage DIY user.
X835 Case Features
- Power switch with beautiful LED indicator to control the power of X835 and the Raspberry pi 4 Model B
- Support super mute cooling fan provides good heat dissipation;
- Reserved Side Slot(Interface) for GPIO/FFC Cable
- Reserved Slot for X735 DC power Port, microusb port and Type-C Power Port
- When use with X735 board, the power supply should be connected to X835 DC 12V IN port NOT X735.
- The PWR ON jumper must be removed (not short) when use with X735 power management board.
- VESA mount: 100mm
- Case Size(Installation): 17X10.5X8 (cm) / 6.69 x 4.13 x 3.15 (inch);
- High quality metal material with surface galvanized process;
- Equipped with 4010 big cooling fan in X828 case; But if use with X735 board, there is no need to use the cooling fan inside X835 case.
How to use X835 3.5 inch SATA HDD Storage Expansion Board with X735 Power Management & Auto Cooling Expansion Board?
Connect X835 board with Raspberry Pi 4 only:
Connect X835 with Raspberry Pi 4 and X735 board:
Please note that the DC 12V power supply should only be connnected to X835 DC 12V port, DO NOT connect the power supply to X735 power management board or Raspberry Pi 4 computer.
X835 PCB size:
X835 Board Packing list:
As this X835 3.5" SATA adapter does not have the safeshut down function like the Raspberry Pi 3B+/3B X830 V2.0 Safe Shutdown 3.5 inch SATA HDD 12V Storage Expansion Board, so if you need power management of Raspberry Pi 4, please add the X735 power management board to safe power off. Please ensure all the wire connections are right and jumer caps put in the right place.
WiKi for Reference:
Raspberry Pi 4:raspberrypiwiki.com/index.php/Raspberry_Pi_4_Model_B
If you need other Raspberry Pi 4 storage solution, please refer to: https://geekworm.com/blogs/news/how-to-add-extra-hdd-or-ssd-storage-to-your-raspberry-pi-4-project